Monday, October 3, 2016

Ziros

Ziros
My great-grandfather was born in the town of Ziros.  Ziros is a village in the municipality Siteia, Lasithi on the island of Crete.  He left this area and came to America.  It has been a lifelong dream to see the village where my great-grandfather originated. 
When we arrived in the village, we stopped at this coffee shop.
I told the cafe owner that my great-grandfather's name was Papacristakis.  He got very excited and sent his wife to collect someone related to me.   These women, in the picture below, came to the coffee shop and brought us to their home.

They insisted we enjoy a meal and we attempted to talk with one another 
through google translate and many hand gestures.
This gentleman below, husband to one of the women who are probably distant cousins, 
took us all around the village and showed us his home.

This is their home.

This is their cat, Erin.

Their church


Scenes around Ziros














Even though we were unable to converse easily, it was clear they were happy to have family from America in their home.  They are proud of their village, and made me feel as if I had come home.  It was so wonderful to connect with this place I have dreamed of my entire life.

The village of Ziros

Scenes on the way back to the coast from Ziros







Pervolakia Gorge




We stopped on the way home in Makry Gialos.  A beautiful coastal town
Sunset picture from our apartment




What a great day.  Beautiful weather to be introduced to family and the hometown of my great-grandfather.  How lucky I am to be able to do this.

Blessings to all, Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment