Sunday, October 23, 2016

Schnookered!


We have experienced the worst of people and the best of people.  We paid for an apartment in Paris that did not exist.  We were dropped off at an address and left for homeless.  What the worst part of this experience was that it shook my belief in the goodness of mankind.  Yes, I have sat face to face with evil, cruel, heartless clients before, but somehow, my faith in goodness prevailed.  As we stood on the street, my faith was shaken.
BUT!!! Then we got to experience the best of people.  The taxi driver who took us to the address expressed his concern for us and wanted to do something for us.  When we walked down to a hotel, the person at the desk showed his relief when he was able to put us in the last room available.  He explained that someone had just canceled their reservation.  While in the room, there was a knock on our door.  I opened it to a smiling gentleman who gave us some sweets and a note wishing us to have a great stay in Paris and hoping our initial experience does not taint our overall time here.  At the end of the note, he wrote that we could go down to the bar and get two glasses of champagne on the hotel.
Everyone here has been exceedingly kind.  So far, barring the initial hiccup, our time here has been wonderful.  I get excited when I speak French, and they actually understand what I am saying.  And!..I understand their response.
We have done a lot of walking around and have enjoyed the sights.
We went to Mass yesterday at Notre Dame.  What an experience to praise and worship our Lord with people of many different countries.  We all were one lifting our praise to our Lord.  I do not know how so many people know what notes to chant when they are chanting, but it was beautiful.  The choir lifted their voices to such a harmony, it was breathtaking.  And the organ...Oh Cal, I can imagine you playing on that organ.  It was exceptional.  When we passed the peace of our Lord, I really felt our Lord's peace.  How wonderful!
This experience has joined my other experiences in predominantly Catholic countries to cause me to ponder the strife that has been part of our history involving religion.  I think of how, we, as human beings, are so easily swayed to the idol of power and money. These are such aphrodisiacs.  Whatever is good can be corrupted by these.
But goodness, I think, prevails overall.  Like our experience here, so far.  Yes, we were swindled, by someone whose idol apparently is money.  But, we also got to experience the generosity and gentleness of so many others.  God is good!
Blessings to all!
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment